What do you think, how much difficult is to make a completely optimized website? What precautions should be taken while optimizing a website? Are you well aware about the downsides of neglecting the SEO aspects? Irritating, isn’t it! I know you have got irritated with so many questions? Same happens with me, when I get sunk in the lake of questions. It all happens when nothing works. There is a suggestion from me, when such things happening with you, start thinking reversed. Instead of thinking what to do, concentrate on what not to do. Trust me it works.
I implemented lots of things to my website so that I could rise its ranking, I also got some good results but not up to the expectations. I always used to bother what should be done to improve my ranking. You might also be, but before bothering make sure that the website is either lacking any aspect or not. There are many seo aspects to be worked on. I have enlisted almost every small thing that might be responsible for your bad ranking. If you avoid these points, definitely you are going to have better ranking.
1. Domain Name Mistakes:
It is well-established fact that the brand matters. Usually companies either have their brand name in the URLs or product name. If the brand name is very popular and recognized then it is good to have brand name in the domain name and in else case product name serves the objectives. There is no sense to use irrelevant keywords in the URLs. The first step of your journey in the web world starts with the selection of domain name. Make a firm and solid step.
While doing my research, I came across a web page (http://bcbb.createmybb.com/showthread.php?tid=293) that I found very interesting about the url mistakes. Here I mentioned the snapshot in my article.
2. Neglecting the significance of title tag:
The title tag is one of the most important places, where SE looks for keywords. Many people spoil the title tag by using irrelevant keywords and putting excessive keywords in the url. There are few things that destroy the significance of your title tag.
1. Placing irrelevant keyword and phrase in the title.
2. The length of the title tag keeping too long, better if keeping it up to 80 characters.
3. Excessive keywords in Meta tag:
In early years of search engine optimization mata tag used to be the whole and sole of SE optimization. But when seo had learnt to play with mata tag, SEs have come up with some more factors upon what the search is based.
Irrelevant and excessive keywords diminish the importance of the mata tags.
4. Irrelevant keywords in the content:
The high keyword density and inappropriate keywords in the content lead to spamming and keyword stuffing. This can affect the ranking of the site and it can also be responsible for the delisting.
Search engine likes to move through the fresh content where the keywords are well placed accordingly keyword proximity.
5. Too much flash files:
There are several downsides of using too much flash files.
1. Websites generally take more time to load because of heavy flash files.
2. SE doesn’t read flash files.
3. Too many Flash files occupy the spaces that reduce the complete utilization of page for the content or keywords.
6. Missing alt attribute:
Alt attribute in the img tag provides the facility to use keywords for the image. Many people don’t take the advantage of this hidden area for the keywords, which allows us to feed keywords without requiring any place on the screen.
It is not possible to use all the alt attributes, but you must use it as much as you can.
7. Stumbling with anchor text:
Anchor text plays an important role for targeting the particular keywords. Hence it is one of the valuable and useful things for a seo. But still people do several mistakes like…
1. Placing irrelevant anchor text.
2. Frequent change of anchor texts.
3. Not varying the anchor text.
8. Unorganized link structure:
Generally user get lost in the website if the link structure is not properly organized. It also affects the crawling of search engine through the website. Hence for the better navigation you must have a well-organized link structure.
9. Use of Frames:
Frame generally referred as the enemy of the SEO. SEs don’t like frames because frames bother search engines for its smooth crawling in the website. Search engines do get confused because of frames.
Frames come up with several pages before the SEs that confuses the search engine to choose the page to move through it. Hence it is not at all good to use the frames for developing websites, unless you want to block the SEs.
I am not going to make you bore with a big article. I always write content oriented articles. Rest of the main topics I have just described point wise.
- 11 Bad or Duplicate content.
- 12 Excessive advertisements.
- 13 Having too many reciprocal links.
- 14 Back links from bad neighbors.
- 15 Using program like link farm.
- 16 Not enough quantity of SE and Directories submission.
- 17 Relying only upon the paid links.
- 18 Underestimating blogging.
- 19 Neglecting the importance of RSS and article submission.
- 20 Using long and dynamic URLs.
Online reputation is very essential for online business. If spoilt a bit may creep for long time and keep damaging your business. So it’s better to get rid off it as soon as possible or take required precautions so that your reputation could not get hurt.
Let’s first understand how the reputation built or damaged online. Online Reputation is directly proportional to users/customer’s experience with your websites and services. The more user is satisfied with your website the less chances are there for negative review.
It doesn’t matter how much you starve to give better experience to your user, one day you might face some bad review because practically it is not possible to fulfill the requirement and expectation of every user. Sometimes some silly mistakes or misunderstanding from user can earn you bad review.
I will let you know few tactics by which you can keep your negative brand reputation up to minimal level and how you can keep your bad review away from user’s eye.
Precautionary Measures: (It is always better to be safe than worry)
Better Browsing Experience: The tag line would be “Keep your user satisfied and give your visitor a great experience while walking through your website!” Keep few important things in your mind.
- Make your websites in such way that it should answer all the questions that may come into user’s mind.
- Do not frustrate your user by unorganized navigation and menus.
- Keep proper hierarchy or presentation of your content.
- All your important pages and customer information pages should be accessible from your entire website.
- Try to make your website fast enough to take your visitors smoothly throughout the website. Delay in opening of Web Pages may annoy visitor.
Following all these points will make your website user friendly and will make user experience better reducing the probabilities of annoying user.
Maintaining User Trust: It is very important to keep your customer happy and satisfied with your products and services to retain the trust of your customer.
The tag line would be “do not leave your customer until they get what they paid for!” Also some important points have to be taken into consideration so far user trust is concerned.
- Do not give fake or wrong information to your customer.
- Fulfill the commitment regarding your product and services.
- Be very communicative to your user and explain as much as you can about your product and services. Every thing has to be very open and clear to the customer about your product and services.
- Keep a feedback and complain section in your website so that you can come to know any unknown issue which might be annoying or disturbing to your trusted customer.
If worked on all these steps may reduce the chances of getting your online image worsen any way. All these things will not guarantee you to keep your online business untouched from bad reputation, but surely can be of great benefit.
Actions to be taken after you hit with bad review: (Tips to cope up with negative review.)
Imagine one person is spitting on you, what would you do? What are you thinking … will hit him. You can escape yourself somehow. Now suppose 100 people are spiting on you, now? How will you escape? In this situation what can help you? An umbrella, over jacket, raincoat or you will run out of the place. NOTHING WILL WORK.
Then what the hell you should do? Here.. the best you can do is that shut the mouth of whoever spitting.
In simple words take complains very seriously and resolve every single issue and problem faced by your respected customer or user.
Revenge and frustration are inbuilt and most powerful characteristics of human, this will only lead to damage and disaster if challenged. Being very attentive and responsive with great humble and politeness will make your customer more comfortable and patient till you find the issues and resolve it.
After resolving the issues, ask the customer to remove/delete the negative review wherever it was published. If it is not possible to remove that ask the customer to reply or make compensatory comment over there. You should also follow-up the respective issues as a company representative in the same place addressing issues in professional way and emphasizing the resolving point.
Keep the bad review away from User’s eye: The websites about consumer forums, review and complain sooner get authority and their pages rank quit good in SE SERPs. This is the reason discussing anything with domain name in such website achieve top ranking for the respective domain name. Any user searching about the website or company with the domain name may come across such negative reviews. This directly creates the negative image of your company in user’s mind.
Sometimes it is not possible to get rid off of it. In this case drags such comments and review out of the user’s eye. To deal such issue creates your company’s profile in some quality and authoritative websites and promote them. Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin etc. can be exploited for this purpose. Along with you can get listing in company profile, business profile and business directory websites; and with good amount of promotion and link building, all these profiles for your website may rank higher in SERPs and will push bad review little beyond the reach of user’s eye.
For successful business keep one thing in your mind that your real business is not your product and service your are providing, your real business is your customer. There must hundreds other who all providing the same product and service. A relationship of trust between customer and provider is the real key of successful business.
Page speed one of the hot topic these day in the SEO world. Matt Cutts has confirmed that page speed is also taken in to consideration for ranking a website. Off course its not very big ranking factor but yes it may affect.
In my understanding, including “Page Speed” as a Search Engine Ranking factor Google want to give its user a fast browsing experience. Google’s search share is more than 70% of the total global search. So it means Google has the potential to make the internet fast by taking user to fast websites only.
The websites those are fast may do well in Google SERPs and those are not, will try to be fast. This will lead to a better user experience. To achieve this milestone the initiatives taken by Google and Yahoo! are really appreciable. Google’s “Page Speed Tool” and Yahoo’s “Yslow!” give large information that will let you to make your website faster.
I followed this information and I could speed up my website’s speed by 40%. Three most common thing that every website should follow to reduce the website loading time are-
- Remove Unnecessary Code: Make the size of every file (html, css, js etc) as small as possible. And how can you do it? Simple, just remove the unnecessary code, blank spaces and comments from your page source code.
- Sprite the Images: Spriting the image can save number of HTTP request. Take all your small image and icons in one image only and call the sections of the image required in the desired location by defining classes and IDs through CSS.
If you follow these three steps only you will see great improvement in your website’s loading time.
Still I am waiting to get some response or any clue from Google WMT to decide my further strategies. As it may take weeks, I kept on researching and studying Google Penalties. After this instance I got one thing very clearly that link building is not an easy task. If done correctly under the guidelines of Google, will take you on the top but if you tried breaking Google’s law, one day you will find yourself in HELL. So it’s better to keep your pace gradual (don’t do aggressive link building) and only work with white hat techniques. But if you are thinking you have been fooling Google for long and Google is not able to catch, you are fooling yourself. One day you will be caught and will be thrown on hot desert where you won’t find a single drop of water.
Anybody who is working as a Webmaster, SEO, SEM or Link Builder first read Google Webmaster Guidelines and then strategies you work. I have collected some very important points from Google webmaster Guidelines and also from some very genuine and senior white hat webmasters, those have to be kept in mind or should be avoided to stay away from Google Penalty.
Google Webmaster Guidelines
Google has clearly mentioned what has to be followed and what not while optimizing your website or promoting your website. The more you understand these, the less spam you do. Only one line says all about Google Quality Guidelines
“Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines.”
Find Google Webmaster Guidelines here:
All the Google Guidelines are in a very general way. To understand it in a better way I also followed some discussion and suggestions on different forums by white hat SEOs and Webmasters. The out come that I have got is described below.
Other Webmaster Guidelines
- Make sure that your website is not linked to any spam websites, gambling & adult websites, banned websites and unrelated websites.
- If IP whether has been blacklisted.
- Don’t over stuff your keywords in content and Meta tags. Use only wherever it needs.
- Don’t give excessive interlinks to the pages present in the same website. Extensive interlinking of all your websites, particularly if they are on the same C Class IP address will affect all your websites.
- Avoid hidden text or links
- You should not participate in any link farm or Add Nofollw.
- Use different keywords for anchor texts and don’t use the same for all back links.
- Avoid Cloaking
- Avoid Duplicate Content
- Avoid Hidden Text
- Don’t do Keyword Spam and Keyword Stuffing
- Do not Buying Links
- Avoid Link to bad neighborhood
- Avoid Hidden Links
- Don’t do Sneaky Redirect
- Don’t send automated query to Google associated with your domain.
The final precipitate I could draw from reading all the Google Webmaster Guidelines and Other Webmaster Guidelines (Suggestions):
Common reasons behind Penalty of your website Or Google Ban:
- Hidden text
- Hidden links
- Keyword stuffing
- Link Buying
- Link Exchange
- Linking to bad neighborhood
- Sneaky redirects
- Doorway pages